Following the Crowd is a Good Way to get Lost in it
For those of you who are in the Linked-In Human Resources Management Group, you know there is a discussion question entitled, “What is your favorite quote and why?” There have been over 6500 responses and I get at least two responses every day. It has gotten to the point that I am sick of reading them and hit the delete button before looking at the response. I can’t fathom how 6500 different quotes from different people can possibly be motivating. I have a favorite quote, but did not share it with this group. However, I can say that this is probably the most popular discussion on Linked-In. But, then again, going with the crowd is a good way to get lost in it. How’s that for a new favorite quote? Someone else has probably said this, so I googled it and could not find the exact quote. So it’s mine now.
Think of it. People are like lemmings following the leader off the cliff. Look at the driving patterns of people who wait in the longest line and take an additional 30 minutes to get from point A to Point B. You see it at Disney World when the doors open in the morning and 90% of the people rush to the nearest attraction to wait in the longest line while the other 10% walk to the back of the park and breeze through the lines. The people who start in the back and work their way to the front are able to see more attractions in a shorter amount of time. These are just a couple of examples of people getting lost in the crowd.
This economy seems to have everyone paralyzed. It is as if there is this thought that no one is doing much in this marketplace, so why should I. This is another illustration of going with the crowd and getting lost in it. Why is this? Who knows? Some say they are waiting for the election. Others say that since small businesses don’t know the tax implications or the cost of healthcare, they are doing nothing until there is some certainty in the marketplace before investing in their business. There is another way to look at this. If either of these things are getting in the way of making a decision, than you should not be in business in the first place. Business is a risk and we have to weigh the risks and the rewards of each business decision. Has the cost of healthcare stopped businesses in the past? There has been no certainty in the healthcare market since the 1980’s. When the tax bill comes, we pay it or pay the consequences.
This is a time to be forceful and energetic. Look for other ways in which your business can go beyond surviving to thriving. Set your sights on new business opportunities, new markets and a different way of approaching business.
Brainstorm ideas and plan for 2011 being a breakout year for you, your employees, your business, your customers and your vendors. All of you are in this together. Bring them in on the brainstorming meetings. You may be able to add services to your customers and clients that you did not think of on your own.
Set your goals high and develop plans to reach those high goals.
The ball is in your court – now run with it. Do something – anything.
Just remember that if you are following the crowd, you just may get lost in it.